FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:12 am
sonofapilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
Very helpful post, Do any of these seem to be a better reward redemption (for value and what you get for your points) than if you paid for the room

I've never been to London and don't mind walking etc, as whatever hotel will be a place to crash, store my bag and hopefully be somewhat close to some good pubs
</font>
You can refer to my earlier post as well, but if all you are looking for in a hotel is a place to crash and you aren't overly concerned with the luxury aspect of hotel living, then I really recommend the Maida Vale. It's the only Category 5 hotel in London (all the other properties are Category 6 and 7), which will amount to significant point savings. It was recently renovated, and the lobby and the rooms look great (they just aren't as fancy as County Hall or Chancery Court). It's only a block to the closest Tube stop (Kilburn Park), and although it is slightly more removed than the other properties, it's really splitting hairs IMHO as you can be right on the Thames in fifteen minutes. There are also several great pubs nearby and a number of places for cheap breakfast and lunch within a three minute walk.

Bottom line: save your points, stay at the Maida Vale, but make certain you stop in at Shino's, which is in the lower level of the County Hall Marriott right on the Embankment. Best bar in the world.