FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four airlines F and J (and a bit Y) QF/EY/BA/TK CBR-SYD-AUH-LHR-IST-AYT return
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:58 am
flying mermaid

Antalya/Kemer

We are part of the Australian Delegation at the World Youth Chess championships - there must be over 2,000 people staying at a number of hotels. The actual playing hall is at the Limra Hotel and the Australians are all staying there.

It is a 5* hotel, but while bits are 5* most I would think are 3.5. However it is all very pleasant. Wifi access is quite difficult, although the hotel has tried to put on extra servers to cope with the unexpected rush of about 1000 laptops all trying to connect at once.

We had a rest day on Tuesday and as I had had a visit to Termessos recommended by a fellow FT person, I organised a private tour up there for 7 of us. Ms FM stayed behind to just relax and hang out with other teenagers.

Absolutely fantastic - it is high in the mountains and a bit of a scramble up and down the mountainside. On the plus side is that there were very few other people there and both some of the ruins and the views were stupendous. No place to buy anything within about 9Km, so take your own water and food. (We were prepared fortunately).

The theatre at the top is almost intact and there are plenty of massive sarcophagi and rock tombs and cisterns. Hopefully will add some photos on return. I would recommend 3 to 4 hours to do justice to this site.

We have had wonderful weather - no rain since the day we arrived.

Today 5 of us are going to the spa for a Turkish bath and massage - should be fun.