View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 09, 3:34 am
Gamecock

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
A-

A++ SWUs
A Domestic Upgrades, which are by Status and then by date booked. This may hurt last minute high dollar flyers, but does create a sense of equality within each status level
A- 500 mile upgrade coupons. Forces PLTs and GLDs to decide how much they really want an upgrade on any given flight. I like this better than other airlines who wind up having an upgrade waitlist of 50 people on a flight, just because there is no skin off of anyones nose to ask. I rarely miss an upgrade, even when I was a PLT. If I was king for a day I change how the coupons are handed out, to perhaps 4 every 7,500 miles.
B- copays for upgrades
A+ GLD/PLT Challenge. Did a PLT Challenge in December of 08. That is a great way to enter the program with status. Never having had status before, I was amazed at how nice travel can be with the right card in your pocket! Since most of my trips are TATLs lounge access (read: showers) and ability to select exit rows is just wonderful.

I never had FF status until last year. Last November I realized I would be flying a lot, with most trips involving TATLs, so I carefully reviewed the different schemes and decided to go with AA. European schemes tend to be restrictive and complicated, and US based programs are more restrictive with SWUs, or they don't offer them at all.

All in all I am very happy with my choice to go with AAdvantage.