FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standard Chartered Conversion changes 16-Nov
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:59 am
rhleung

Smile

Hi. This is the first time I posted my comments on this website. Re the SCB AMEX and the Conversion Rate Changes, I have called up SCB a couple of times and looked at the TnC in more detail. It seems to me that:

Conversion Rate Rule Changes
======================
- Current Rate is 15 Bonus Pts to Asiamiles + HKD300 conversion fee
- You can still convert 12 Bonus Pts to Asiamiles + HKD100 per 10,000 miles before Year End

Asiamiles Double Up Promotion
======================
- This promo is for local spending
- This only benefit you if you spend over HKD12,000 before promo expiry on 31 Jan 2010 (otherwise no extra Asiamiles)
- And this promo give up 12:1 conversion rate BUT it only Double Up the "base" Bonus Points!! So beware!

This is how it works:

Normally, if you spend HKD6, under the bonus programme, you get 6 Bonus Points and 6 extra Bonus Points under SCB Amex totalling 12 Bonus Points. And you can redeem 12:1 to get your 1 miles.

Now, under the Asiamiles Double Up promotion, the same HKD6 local spending, you get the same (a) 6 Bonus Points and (b) 6 extra Bonus Points under SCB Amex. In addition, you get the (c) "Double Up extra 6 Bonus Points".

Under the promotion, (a) + (c) will automatically converted to 1 Asiamiles whereas component (b) is left untouched.

So your HKD6 spending would mean 1 Asiamiles + 6 Bonus Points under (b). And given the new conversion ratio is 15:1, your local spending of HKD6 = 1 + 6 / 15 miles = 1.4 miles. In other words, it is HKD4.286 to 1 AM (not HKD3.75 to 1)

It is better off using DBS Black given under the DBS promotion most people get HKD4=1.

Regards