FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Open Forum for Candidates
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:49 pm
MSY-MSP

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LessO2

As for "poster awards," I'm not in favor of that, either. I think it boils down to popularity contests, subject to timing and other things that feel like a "lottery" to me. There are just way too many characteristics and situations that can, in the long run, erode the spirit of FlyerTalk.

I DO think that "spot rewards," for certain posts and posters, would be a good idea. Say if a moderator, or a simple contributor to FT, felt that someone just went way above and beyond to address, discuss or explain an issue in a thread, that should be considered for something like free luggage tags or some other reward. But judged on a case-by-case basis, meaning that a nomination doesn't automatically mean a reward. And with the understanding that there's no quota or timelines for giving away rewards.
I have to say i 100% agree with what you are saying here. I think this would be the proper balance between rewarding great contributions to the community without creating an undo burrden on the community.