FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Open Forum for Candidates
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:46 pm
LessO2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I think it's a great to come up with ideas to advance FlyerTalk, I think this has the more potential for more friction than reward in the long run.

First, I think the performance of most moderators is based similar to baseball umpires. The less you talk about them, the better they are perceived.

That's not to discount any of the moderators' time and effort (remember that they do a lot of work that we usually don't see that DOES greatly benefit FT). I don't think there are tangible measures that everyone can see and/or understand.

As for "poster awards," I'm not in favor of that, either. I think it boils down to popularity contests, subject to timing and other things that feel like a "lottery" to me. There are just way too many characteristics and situations that can, in the long run, erode the spirit of FlyerTalk.

I DO think that "spot rewards," for certain posts and posters, would be a good idea. Say if a moderator, or a simple contributor to FT, felt that someone just went way above and beyond to address, discuss or explain an issue in a thread, that should be considered for something like free luggage tags or some other reward. But judged on a case-by-case basis, meaning that a nomination doesn't automatically mean a reward. And with the understanding that there's no quota or timelines for giving away rewards.