FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would this be a phantom stay ?
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:59 pm
NJUPINTHEAIR
Suspended

Originally Posted by crystak
I plan on checking into the HR at Reagan airport at 5pm and only go to the room to shower, mess the bed then catch my flight back home to LHR at 7pm then call them the following day to say I've checked out. All this on a prepaid room, I think it should be considered as an eligible stay, right?
Absolutely. If you do either of the above as I have directed and then check out -- even if you call the front desk by phone the next day, you should be fine -- I have.

Further, it appears that some hotels are now permitting you to check out via the web -- i have received such e-mails but have yet to do it this way -- but it may save you the expense of that overseas phone call.

The important thing is the front end check in process, I think that one could argue that the check out is perfunctory. I believe many have been checked out of the hotel even though they never completed the check out process, the hotel just deciding that the stay of x days had ended and that they had left the property without performing the ministerial function of checking themselves out.