FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:07 pm
woody125

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Please don't confuse CUSTOMS (where they check if you are bringing unauthorised goods into the country) and IMMIGRATION (where they check or stamp your passport / visa), although in this case the answer is that you will go to an International transit desk and straight back into the departures are and should not need to pass through either customs or immigration.
Great point. Customs and Immigration are indeed different beasts though at JNB both are non issues best I can tell. I went through both yesterday with no issue at all (they do take your temperature now before allowing you to step up to the immigration desk btw). I have Russian colleagues arriving from London today transiting with no checked bags to a SAA flight to Lusaka. I'll note their journey and try to post back what their step by step journey is. I think it will be arrive, transit, check in for the future flight and head to the gate. No customs and no security. If that varies I'll report back.