FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:59 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's why many of us are on FT. A number of fares / airline combos allow no AA miles, 30% of miles flown, do not award elite status bonus miles, etc. It pays to check before one flys, as to do otherwise can turn a true FTer absolutely apoplectic when s/he arrives home and sees all those miles have slipped through one's fingers. The horror!

Originally Posted by maracle
In September I flew LAX-AUK-BNE-MEL-SYD-LAX on Qantas...I was fairly disappointed to discover that most of this itinerary was completely ineligible for AA miles. Only LAX-AUK and BNE-MEL were eligible, at 50% of the actual miles. The rest of the flights were in fare class N, which is apparently ineligible.

I knew that the partnership with Qantas had been significantly devalued since my last trip to Australia (in 2003 I did a similar multicity trip and ended up with over 18000 miles on a lowest economy rate ticket), but I didn't realize so many flights would be worth nothing. Is N a common rate class now? Does anyone know how many other rate classes are excluded from earning miles?

Having earned only about 4350 miles on almost 17,000 miles of flights I might have chosen to earn into Qantas's program instead.

thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 17, 2010 at 3:11 pm Reason: typo