FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Marriott Maida Vale, UK [Master Thread]
Old Feb 4, 2002, 4:22 pm
mikeef
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
maide vale stay

Thanks everyone for all of your info. We stayed here for three nights and while it wasn't exactly the Ritz, it was certainly much more than adequate for the 75 pounds that we paid.

A few details:

Check in was friendly and the hotel is nice but a little plain. The room may have been a bit on the small side, but it was certainly comfortable for two people. The platinum amenity, a plate of fruit, chocolates and water was also fairly nice. I'm quickly discovering that Marriott's amenities tend to be nicer than Starwood's. The restaurants were definitely on the expensive side, although not out of line with typical hotel prices. One downside is that there are not a lot of local restaurants within walking distance, so eat in town if that is a concern.

There seem to be some questions on the board about the location. Frankly, I thought that it was perfectly safe, and although not exactly convenient to most sites, it is a five minute walk to the nearest tube station. It appeared that the area was more residential, which may account for the lower prices. If you enjoy walking, this is a great hotel. Local houses are extremely pretty and several tourist sites and the theater district are easily within a 45-60 minute walk (for those of us who walk slowly).

Overall, we were extremely happy with the hotel. If you don't mind paying over $200 per night, by all means, stay closer to the center of the city. But for those looking for a reasonable deal, the hotel was clean, safe, convenient to the tube and I would have no hesitation about recommending it.

-Mike