FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Grand Cayman
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2002, 8:34 pm
davidb13

All of the above.

The rooms were old and tired. Linens looked dingy and dirty. The furniture was obviously several years old. Bathroom tile was dirty - grout was filfthy. Unless you get oceanfront, there are NO views from the rooms. Of the 8 channels offered on cable, you could only view and hear about 4. They said they were having satellite problems : (

The public areas (except Pool, I'll get to that in a second) were boring and cheap looking. We ate breakfast in the restaurant. It was NOT Marriott quality. There is no concierge - there IS a person trying to sell tours, but NO concierge. We had to ask the front desk about restaurants, and they basically referred us to an album on a desk in the lobby which had local restaurant menus. They have this man made river running through the courtyard of the hotel - it appeared that they tried to do what had been done successfully at the Hyatt, but a good comparison to that would be Six Flags vs Disney, if you know what I mean.

The pool was too small for the property. Plus, there is a Comfort Inn next door that doesn't have a pool on the beach, so guess what....they all come over to the Marriott's pool/jacuzzi. Because there is no beach, everyone sits at the pool, so there is basically nowhere to sit, assuming you would want to sit out there. The beach is maybe 8 feet from the retaining wall of the pool area to the water. Barely enough to put a few beach chairs. The trash cans late in the day (on the one afternoon we tried to use the Marriott pool) were overrun with trash and nobody seemed to be concerned that trash was falling out and spreading around.

The property reminded me of a very old and rundown Holiday Inn.

I admit I prefer a nicer hotel when on vacation. Some people don't care about the rooms, just so they can say "We're on Grand Cayman! (or wherever)". To me, the hotel makes or breaks a trip. And this property broke our trip. There isn't much to do on Grand Cayman in the way of sights, so the hotel (this isn't a resort) becomes even more important.

We went to the Westin for pool and beach - an excellent property!! Also, went to brunch at the Hyatt - also a wonderful property, but it is across the street from the beach and looked to be quite a walk to get there. But both of those properties were near luxury, so you felt better being there. Returning to the Marriott each day was a downer.

I wish someone had warned me.