FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UG with AA&AS mixed itn
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:42 pm
coolwind

Programs: AA EXP, CO PL
Originally Posted by gemac
1. There are two upgrade lists - the one controlled by AA HQ, and the airport upgrade list. If you don't get upgraded on the first list, you have to ask to be put on the airport list. If you do OLCI with AA, there is a box to check to add yourself to the airport list. Since you didn't do that, you have to have an AAgent add you when you get to the airport with the AA flight (in this case, LAX). Any AAgent can do this, at a service desk or at a gate (if they aren't busy). Do this immediately (in this case, at 9 PM).
Thanks for the clarification. I was cheated by the kiosk as I saw the UG request when I printed the BP.

2. An AAgent will often tell you that First Class has checked in full. I do not board until they tell me that First Class has boarded full. Instead, I stand by the podium. They should print a new boarding pass for whoever is at the top of the list, look and see where their coach seat was, walk onto the aircraft, give you the boarding pass, then walk back out and (often) print a boarding pass for the standby who needs that coach seat, but they are often rushed to get the flight out on time, and if someone on the upgrade list is standing right there, it's a lot easier and quicker to give them the upgrade. Human nature.
^^^
I figured in this way after the flight. Now I am more confident about this if it happens next time.