FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Aruba
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2000, 10:18 pm
BeantownFlyer

Captain Mike - I agree. Stayed there this past February (President's week) using my Marriott Rewards points for a great 7 night stay. OK, so they kept running out of towels at the beach/pool (so I learned to hoard them when they had them), you had to be on the beach at 6am to get a "hut", and the Marriott restuarant selection was mediocre (Hyatt, short walk down the beach had much better choices), but the facilities were very nice, they had a great kids program, and the units were the typical (very nice) Marriott Vacation Club fare, with jacuzzis, full kitchens, large tvs and vcrs, nice furnishings, etc. But I was not particularly impressed with Aruba (why do people go back EVERY year?) - the island itself is somewhat ugly with these poor windblown trees, there's no real sightseeing to be done, I didn't find the natives to be particularly nice (not that they were mean, but there was no "welcome to our island" spirit as there is in say Barbados), and the trip was a real hassle (45 minutes just to get through the Arbuba immigration - how slowly can you stamp a passport?!). Best thing I did was reserve my airport taxi in advance over the net - everyone was fighting for cabs, and there was my guy waiting with a sign, just like when I land at LGA! The island did have some good restaurants, but I'm not sure I'd go back soon - the Marriott Beach Place Towers in Fort Lauderdale is a lot easier to get to, and other than the fact that you have to cross the street and go to the public beach, is just as nice - plus there's alot more to do in FLL! So its worth a visit to Aruba - but not an annual visit, IMHO!