FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Humiliated businesswoman frog-marched off British Airways flight in row over mobile
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:57 am
Jenbel
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by moeve
Well actually the FA did that because the reason given for throwning her off was because he couldn't get her to OBEY his orders immeadiately. I am questioning his competance on THAT particular day because a simple phone call can be dealt with in a more professional way without acting like a small child stamping ones foot and storming off to get daddy because someone won't play with you. The simple fact that they were obviously still at the gate when she turned off her phone shows me that this was a complete overreaction. That just wasn't his day and not being able to deal with something simple leaves ample room for doubt when things really go wrong!!

Come on letting someone finish a call while still at the gate poses absolutely no danger to anyone. To all those whining about phone calls and demanding repect from the other side seem to forget that this sort of thing goes both ways. Who knows maybe one day YOU will be the one trying to save a deal at the last minute before push back full well knowing they won't be able to reach you over the next hours.
You've drawn an awful lot of conclusions from not many facts:
a) she was 'thrown off' because she wouldn't obey his orders immediately
b) she was only trying to finish the call
c) they were still at the gate (you say it's obvious, which means it's a conclusion you've reached)
d) he was throwing a tantrum

Another scenario, equally as valid as yours from the information given. She boards, she's on the phone. She's still on the phone, she's asked to turn it off by cabin crew. She agrees, but carries on speaking. The next time he goes by, she's still on the phone, the doors are closed. He asks her again to turn the phone off. She agrees, and carries on speaking. He comes by again... and she's still on the phone.

At what point do you realise that someone has no intention of complying with your perfectly lawful instruction which is trying to enforce a safety rule from the airline? What other sanction do you have? She shoudn't be using the phone, but she is refusing to stop....

And there is nothing in the report which makes my scenario any more or any less valid than your scenario (in fact, given the behaviour I've seen from pax, mines is rather more likely).

And of course she runs to the press and she has behaved perfectly....