FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Humiliated businesswoman frog-marched off British Airways flight in row over mobile
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:50 am
SteveF

Originally Posted by Jenbel
And yet the CAA research (admittedly rather old now) said that there was a real, measurable risk.

Should they just ignore that because it's been ok so far? Regulators should be proactive- preventing accidents - not reactive - only reacting once the accident has occurred.

Afterall, we've never had a commercial jet loss in the UK due to birdstrike. So we don't really need to worry about trying to prevent it do we? OTOH, it's likely that we haven't had a commerical jet loss because we've been trying to prevent them. This despite the fact that birdstrikes can and do occur every day at UK airports...
I guess so, but again I'm surprised that we were ever allowed to take them aboard and were not told to put them in checked luggage (switched off of course). What is the official USA FAA take on mobiles? I'm sure that if they thought there was the slightest risk it would have been "Freeze! Put the phone down and walk away with your hands in the air" at security.

Bird strikes are another matter though since we know that they occur and that they have brought planes down in other countries.

Last edited by SteveF; Oct 14, 2009 at 7:02 am