FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feedback from Tom Bihn Aeronaut carry-on bag owners
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:31 pm
tcook052
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for the input and review ans welcome to FT notmensa.

So many bags I see either hint at it or come right out and say its a bag for 2-3 days of business travel, which isn't really how I travel at all and why I thought a better duffel was what would do me better. I like the look of the RedOxx Air Boss and how it carries the clothes vertically instead of horizontally, I assume with straps, and that would keep them crisper than in the single large compartment of my current duffel where everything kind of gets compressed. I assume the way the clothes are strapped in it would mean no packing cubes are really needed, though would be curious to hear back whether that's correct or not.

The price of the Pathfinder was very attractive but the model you reviewed is sold out at overstock otherwise I would've likely taken a flyer, pardon the pun, on it at approx. $70 which I can't consider as easily when the price passes $200.

How would you rate the Travel Boss versus the TriStar?

I know I'll get good use out of a good carry-on as this year alone I've done one week YEG-CUN via MSP & IAH for a holiday, a one week Holland America Alaska cruise, 2+ weeks in EZE and Argentina, a 2 nighter YEG-PHX via DEN and next month a 6 night pseudo MR YEG-KIX via SFO. Now this might not be a typical year as next year I might travel less but I know if I can find the right bag it'll make my travelling easier.

I usually travel fairly light with 2 black T-shirts, 2-3 polo shirts (1 long sleeved for the plane), 2 pairs of comfortable Columbia pants (no jeans), swim trunks, Eagle Creek Koala toiletries pack with the Tom Bihn 3D Clear Organizer Cube which fits pefectly into the bottom zippered pocket of the Koala though I'm sure that wasn't intended, an Eagle Creek Pack It half tube for underwear and socks, swim trunks, paperback, document holder, and a small pack of pens, ear bud earphones, sleepmask and kleenex. I take a small bottle of Dylex and wash the shirts once or twice depending how long the trip is.

Trust me, I'm a convert to the one bag reality and am trying now to get a better fit.