FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 2000 to 8/2011
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:01 am
lalala

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I just returned from a one night stay at the Park Hyatt Vendome and it is really nice.

I am actually going to do a trip report as our trip was well, interesting in bits.

But here is a teaser. We stayed only one night, we would have stayed two, but our main purpose of this trip was to see some friends in Oxford and we ended up working around their schedules.

Anyways, we checked in at 5:30 PM and the hotel is sort of hard to find, that its rather discreetly tucked in between Dunhill and I think some posh jewellers. The entrance is full of undecorated christmas trees, the check in area is down some stairs, past the breakfast and tea area (off to your right) and very very W in appearance.

We went to check in and we were asked to check in our room. Imagine that. So, none of that flashing out the card, discussing breakfast options and whatnot with the hoi polloi. We chatted with the check-in person on the way to the room. It was 511 and pretty nice. I didn't request a suite and the room was big enough for the two of us.

She went through taking of my details (mc and passport numbers), explaining things and thanking us for visiting the hotel. Our amenity was a bit too strange for words.
It was six lychees (are they the red fruit with the strange spikes?), some large sugar crystals in a nice arty glass dish and a normal size bottle of white wine already chilled. There was also a note from the Concierge thanking us for staying at the Park Hyatt. I like that.

The room itself was nice. It has a very comfortable bed, beautiful linens and they finally put in a golden colored clock to match the decor.

The tv was top notch (bang and olfuson?) and the hotel info was in a dunhill folio. You just don't get that at the hampton inn, do you?

I liked the room alot, it was quiet (on the courtyard), light and very understated. I would love it better if the closet space in the dressing area (in the bathroom) was well, closed off. We were there for a total of 18 hours at the most. We did a bunch of shopping and didn't really need to unpack, however, it would be nice to be able to shove all the packages and the suitcases into an armoire and call it art. It ruins the minimalist look. The nice heated floor in the dressing area was a plus.

We ate breakfast at the hotel, it was nicely done, though the cafe cremes were not very good, however, the fact it was free was nice. Lots of others were going for the 42Euro buffet.

Our total bill was 8 euros. We had a little need for some nougat from the minibar.

What can you expect from a hotel that stocks fauchon and hediard in the minibar? Great things.

We also had a nice tea on our way to the eurostar. The lobby area would be a nice place to meet others.

The wierd surrealist bronze figures that are all over the hotel are pretty trippy. I don't think John Ashcroft could stay here.

There is more, but I can't remember it all.

I'm glad we went, I think I would use my FFN somewhere like the Park Hyatt Tokyo instead. We stayed in a nice 4**** Sol Melia Boutique Hotel with great access to restaurants and good bells (right next to Notre Dame) for 120 euros. Paris is full of cute little boutique hotels that are reasonably priced, so it would be better for us to try using the rest of our nights somewhere like NYC, Berlin or Tokyo.

The staff was great, the service supreme and really great location if you are into high end shopping. More Cartiers near place vendome than Starbucks or Prets in London.

lala