FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex USA 4 or 5 "Credit" Card Limit.
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:28 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by brasov02
Excellent. So that previously-asserted 4-card limit obviously doesn't apply to everyone. My conclusions are that, like nearly everything else in this credit card world, there are very few hard and fast rules that apply across the board. To put it as succinctly as possible...YMMV.
But considering the success I've had in the recent past with app approvals and knowing there are others who have at least 4 AMEX cards at a time, I'll go ahead and go for my 4th (Hilton Surpass) so I can start collecting triple miles on the mint deal. I'll risk the dreaded (place foreboding music here)..."FR" (immediately followed by the rumble of thunder).
Thanks for the helpful info.
I think it all depends on how much credit line the issuers are willing to give you whether they AmEx or any other bank .

Lets say the bank is willing to give you 50k a month as a credit line and you already have 4 cards with a total limit of 50k. They would prefer not to let you open another card because they will either reduce your limit on another card or will need to increase the credit line for you. Since they won't be willing give you more and they already gave 4 cards for that specific amount it doesn't make sense to give you another card.

I would presume that the higher your credit line is the more cards you can have by that issuer.

This is just my two cents, I could be wrong.