FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Star Hotel Type Breakfast now the Norm in First
Old Sep 19, 2009, 3:47 pm
GrizShel

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
One Star Hotel Type Breakfast now the Norm in First

Last week I flew DCA-MSP and MSP-PHX in the morning and got two breakfasts - with a choice of chex or chex on the first and cheerios or cheerios on the second flight. There was nothing but simple carbohydrates for the entire breakfast. The bagel offered was not high quality, not fresh, and not appetizing. Orange juice was canned. Everything was cheap stuff and reminded me of an Econolodge breakfast (it wasn't as good as a typical Fairfield Inn breakfast). In exchange for the two full carb-loaded breakfasts I would have preferred them go to McDonalds and buy a few Egg McMuffins and pass them out to the First Class passengers (which I did barely have time to do between flights after turning down most of the first breakfast; it cost about $2.50 and, to me, was far superior in taste to the entire First Class breakfast.)

Recently I have found the cold lunch and dinner offerings dominating Deltified flights now are at least better than the cold breakfasts, but they are inconsistent in quality. Too often nowadays the offerings in First are non-existent or even less appetizing than the snacks for sale in coach.

And now I have to bring my own nut mix, since they got rid of the Fancy Nut mix in First and are now offering salted peanuts only.

The ease of obtaining upgrades is the last significant remaining advantage of being a DL NW ff, don't understand why they think saving a few dollars on meals is really going to help their bottom line when they are having difficulty retaining many of their frequent flyers. I'm pretty sure that the additional long-term revenue generated from having a reputation for excellent food service in premium cabins is greater than the cost of that service.