FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GRU RCC has the worst club facilities on the planet
Old Sep 19, 2009, 7:34 am
dgcpaphd

Originally Posted by catocony
The same stuff that was broken and worn out 5 years ago is still today. Half of the ceiling tiles are brown from water stains, the wallpaper in the men's room has pretty much pealed off and is just hanging down all over. The carpets look like they haven't been cleaned in, well, forever. The non-free wireless, from VEX, has marginal signal, at best, from any spot in the club. Oh, and the toilets are routinely clogged and unusable. Very nice, for a supposed United Arrivals RCC.

Has anyone heard if they're going to close this dump down? Now that UA isn't having the non-stops to Rio this season, I'm stuck going down through Sampa - with multiple security checks just to go into the terminal and back onto the plane after a 2-3 hour wait. Since I'm down 4-6 times a year, I'm really hoping they just bunk up with TAM - which has really nice lounges - after TAM goes Star Alliance.

The same goes for the former Varig lounge in Rio, although it's far nicer than the RCC in Sampa. They still put out the full spread of food for breakfast and quasi-dinner at Sampa, but at this point, I feel the need for a tetanus shot before going into the RCC there.

I think you are too harsh in your assessment of the RCC in Sao Paulo.

Admittedly, the carpets could use a cleaning but I think the other defects you mentioned are exagerated.

If one compares the GRU RCC to the interior of some of Unitedīs airplanes there is not much difference in shabbiness. However, the planes and the RCC are not as bad as you describe.

Moreover, the fact that you must go through security to continue your flight to Rio is necessary even if you do not use the RCC. All connecting flight passengers go through the same security check although they just arrived from another flight and did not leave a secured area. Use of the Sao Paulo RCC has nothing to do with the silly requirement.