FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Kind Of Wine Did I Drink?
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:37 pm
pbarnette
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Wow... boxed wine in economy...grrrrrrreat... well I guess how much worse can it be than the FishEye? They'd also reduce weight by pouring from 750ml bottles instead of their individual servings... perhaps not as much but it would have been a much better alternative...
Nothing wrong with Tetra Paks for wine. There is an article in the Oct 15th issue of Wine Spectator that talks about the boxed wine category (including Tetra Paks) and notes increasing quality. The ratings for the wines mentioned in the article (generally in the mid to upper 80s) are about what you would expect from a cheap bottled wine.

The wine may not be great wine, but putting it in a bottle wouldn't change that. Even if you believe that a traditional bottle with cork is critical for the aging process, this isn't wine to be aged. There is simply no reason to dress it up in a bottle. Let's be honest, you are getting table wine, so who cares what it comes in? I see no reason not to go with the Tetra Pak - it is perfectly suited for the needs of an airline.

And note that they are getting rid of glass AND moving away from single-serving wines. The wines will be served from 1 liter containers.

Last edited by pbarnette; Sep 16, 2009 at 4:45 pm