FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use of PMU on same day International
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:13 pm
El Boocho

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
On the actual 2009 PMU regarding international: "Upgrade processing cannot be handled at the boarding gate" and " Standby upgrades at the airport are not permitted". There have been many threads about the 24 hour rule with the international flights.

For 2010: " In addition to the existing ability for customers to request an upgrade in advance, the new Systemwide Upgrade Certificates will be valid for use on the day of departure. This means if a First or Business Class seat is available on your Delta flight on the day of departure you will be able to request the upgrade. "

As I have been on waitlists for international flights and have had them not clear, yet several seats in BE went empty, I am trying to understand if the new program is going to be any different that the past. It "SOUNDS" like it will be the case, but I am most curious if it is in place today as I was told by a DL CS rep (and told the opposite by another).

I've flown a lot of United and Air Canada where there is rarely an open seat upfront becuase they upgrade their loyal flyers (using miles or certificates). I am trying to determine if DL will start filling the BE cabins with paying (albeit upgraded) passengers instead of non-revs.

This change, if real, will make the SWU (old pmu) actually worth something if this is indeed the case.
My understanding it that they will be upgradable at the gate and you will clear before NRSAs.

It was also my understanding that UA C was always full because it was "employee class." I'm not judging whether this is right or wrong or who is entitled to what, just repeating what I have heard about UA C.