FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check-in cutoff switcheroo in Reno
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:42 am
idayvuelta

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Mosaic 3, ⓥ for the animals
Check-in cutoff switcheroo in Reno

I've flown in and out of Reno/Tahoe airport several times (and am otherwise a seasoned FFer), but I was caught unawares this time. The airport's check in area is undergoing renovation and ticketing is done in an adjacent temporary structure. This has caused Delta/Skywest and some (but not all) other airlines to institute a strict 45 minute cutoff for baggage.

For a variety of reasons (not the least of which were my local friends who, familiar with Reno's easy airport, were in no rush to get me to the airport) I arrived about 41 minutes before my flight and was told I could not board with luggage. I was flying cross country and had picked the latest rational connection, so there were few alternatives. I must say I handled it like a pro (no temper tantrums, no DKYIA, no "the world will be sucked into a black hole if I am not home by 10:30 tonight"), and the agent I dealt with displayed exceptional customer service skills. Despite very full flights for the next few days, she assured me "I'll get you something" and said the fees would be waived without my asking. That went a long way towards defusing the situation.

The best they could offer was a double connect heinous red-eye via SLC and Atlanta, which I declined. I ended up proposing to overnight in SLC and catching a direct flight the next morning to my final destination. It cost me more out of pocket, but I got a good night's sleep in return.

So my question/comment is two-fold:

1) Ultimately check-in times are the traveler's responsibility to verify (hence my lack of protest to the agent), however this information is hopelessly buried on Delta's website.

2) Also, if they're going to change the check in time (particularly if it's a temporary change) shouldn't this be indicated prominently SOMEWHERE? The confirmation email? The check in reminder email? Or how about on the delta.com itinerary page? Deviation from the 30 minute standard has the potential to foul up a lot of travel plans for people like me who rarely get to the airport more than 60 minutes before a flight. (And yes, I realize I should arrive at the airport 3 hours before a domestic flight and the day before an international flight etc. etc.). This information - particularly when it deviates from the norm - couldn't be very difficult technologically to include if things like departing terminal are also included.

This really screwed up my plans and made me miss even more class. I am clearly not owed any compensation from Delta, but I just don't understand why they wouldn't do more to let people know about airports that have different check ins. Maybe the answer is the majority of people who arrive late wouldn't have paid attention anyway? I sure would have...