FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avoid the bulhead in first on the MD-88
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:26 am
SAT Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Avoid the bulhead in first on the MD-88

I just experienced my first two segments in first on DL, both on the MD-88, and was surprised to discover that Seatguru's positive, green color-coded recommendation for seats 2A and 2B was wildly off the mark. Of those seats, speaking glowingly, Seatguru notes that 2A and 2B have about five more inches of pitch than 1C and 1D and a cutout in the bulkhead. Having flown this equipment, while I agree than 1C and 1D are poor seats, I think that 2A and 2B are poor seats as well. While there will be no one in front to recline into your space and you will be well positioned to get drinks early and often, the bulkhead is a hard one that precludes stretching out one's feet; the supposed five bonus inches, to me, appear to be a myth; the foot cutout is the most minuscule and pathetic one I have ever seen on any airline (maybe about 2" high and a couple of inches deep; perhaps you can jam a couple of toes into the cutout, but no more); and, of course, being the bulkhead, your laptop and other carry-on baggage needs to be stowed overhead for takeoff and landing.

Honestly, none of the seating in DL's MD-88s is particularly appealing as the pitch throughout the cabin is cramped by domestic first class standards. But, realizing that, I would never again choose 2A or 2B unless the only other seats left in the cabin were 1C or 1D. Just a warning for those who, like me, otherwise are inclined to take Seatguru's counsel as the gospel truth.

YMMV if you don't have any interest in stretching out your legs or if you are a double amputee.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Sep 8, 2009 at 10:41 am