FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just booked my last flight on CO... Im going to miss them :(
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:22 pm
delanet

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Just booked my last flight on CO... Im going to miss them :(

As the title say I just booked my final trip on Continental a one way from FLL to LAX on October 18th, wanted one last taste of their F product and literally a taste as I always found their meals to be top notch.

I must say I am genuienly sad to see them go it was great to have another sky team option when traveling especially back in the good ole days when we had 3 skyteam options. That said i think Delta is a very worthy replacement especially as one doesnt have to worry about fare class to earn 100% EQM. I just hope DL fare stay under control now as if you are a die hard mile junky there wont be any other options now.

Infact what made worldperks such a compelling proposition for me was the continetal and alaska upgrades as well as having delta as a last resort option (because of lack or upgrades but still mileage accrual). This combination allowed me to hedge my bets and always find a reasonable fare as it was rare for all 4 airlines to have crazy fares. Being west coast based the parnership with alaska was also a great asset especially as it included reciprocal upgrades which i dont think onepass memebers even got.

I thought I had it all figured out with worldperks I could fly AS and CO for all my domestic segments as their product was far superior to NW. But fly NW internationally to Asia where their product and network were both excellent. But now with this merger that strategy is no more. However as I noted above Delta is a worthy replacement for Continental(in terms of product), I just lament the loss of choice and additional options.

So in conclusion I am now at the mercy of Delta so far I am not too displeased with the changes that have been made. I just hope that the fares stay undercontrol and that they follow through and reinstate upgrade on AS in 2010 as they claim to be negotiating. It would have been so incredible were Continental staying, being able to upgrade on CO & DL would have made Skymiles and Onepass pretty tough to beat but c'est la vie.

Well this post turned out a little differently than I inteneded. I wanted mainly to wish Continental a fond fairwell but now it looks like I have completed a little retrospective on worldperks and am also wishing it bon voyage.

It was good while it lasted eh?

(Delta you have big shoes to fill please dont let us down)