FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed DL/NWA itineraries - upgrade hassles?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:14 am
Brian_is_flyin

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Mixed DL/NWA itineraries - upgrade hassles?

NW PE with 100+ segments and 100K+ EQM so far in 2009.

My company has recently switched travel agencies from CWag to Orbitz for Biz. The handful of flights that are available on my usual route (MSP-BTV), are shown in Orbitz most as mixed carrier (DL/NW) options. The flight from MSP to DTW is shown as a DL flight operated by NW, and the DTW to BTV is shown as DL operated by Pinnacle/Delta Connection. This seems a bit different, when all my previous itineraries were all NWA flight numbers.

Here's my dilema, so far in 2009, I have been 100% in Elite upgrades (50 for 50, or so) on planes that have a F cabin. Since starting to book these Orbitz flights (DL 006 tickets, sold as DL flights operated by the actual carrier, Amex has charge from Delta) - I have gotten 0% upgrade. (0 for 6 on eligble planes).

I have called NWA PE line and they can see that I am on the upgrade list, I have called DL premium sales line and they state they show the segments are requested for upgrade.

For today's flights, BTV-JFK-MSP, the fiist segment is DL flight # operated by DL Connect, second segent is sold as DL flight # operated by NW. Upon checking in and printing boarding pass from the NW site, I was taken to the DL site. I was unable to pull a seat map for the NW operated flight to see if I could move from exit window to the exit aisle. (no big deal). After checking in and printing BP, I went back to NW site and saw that I could check my position on the upgrade list for my NW operated flight. When I looked, the NW site stated that I was not on the upgrade list, - and that F was booked full. But upon calling the NW PE line, I was told that I am indeed on the upgrade wait list.

I understand that NW has dropped its 5:30am MSP-DTW flight, thus more elites are competing for the same F seats. Understood and logical. Over the course of this year I have flown the BTV-JFK-MSP flight 5 times and never had a problem getting the upgrade 5 days out. This was when they were flying that route with a CR900, rather than the A319 they started to fly recently. With more F seats now available, one would think that an upgrade would actually be easier to score.

I am grateful for any upgrade that I get and see it as a perk, not an entitlement. I am just very curious if other have had mixed carrier upgrade troubles or have ever had upgrade sucess go from 100% (for 7+ months) to 0% (for 3 weeks straight), simply by changing travel agents (and the way they sell flights)???

(sorry for the longwinded essay, congrats on making it to the end....)