FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New DL Double or Triple QM Promo in the works? AA fires first shot
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:29 am
pmaddock

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Does this make me sound like a jerk, and be honest: If you are not flying as much this year, you shouldn't be Plat/Diamond/whatever. WHY do they need to give it away? It is an elite benefit created for an elite level of flying. There are years I didn't make Plat, and I settled for Silver and Gold on NW. THAT is what I earned. Why can't it be a pure program? Sorry Johnny, some teams do lose....everyone doesn't get a blue ribbon in life.
No - I don't think it makes you sound like a jerk - just a purist.

Any way you look at it now though the cat is completely out of the bag - the relationship of EQM to BIS flying has been broken. Although there have been occassional EQM giveaways in the past - nothing even remotely compares to this year. We've got credit card sign-up regular and promo offers, the possibility of multiple EQM X times promos, amazing gift bonuses, and hotel bonuses. Before this year I remember only one EQM promo of any significance - the UA matched 2x back in 2005. This year its off the charts. EQM is now following the path of RDM.

Now here's an intersting question - what do you think an EQM is actually worth to the airlines? Clearly they sell them in some way to the Airlines and the Hotels so I'm curious what they are getting for them.

Last edited by pmaddock; Sep 3, 2009 at 9:31 am Reason: typo