FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort and Spa (Austin, TX) - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:07 am
DealDetective

Just completed a one night stay at Lost Pines this weekend. A quick, spontaneous trip to celebrate our daughter's birthday. The resort has come a long way since we stayed there shortly after it opened 3 years ago and we were overall pleased with our stay. The landscaping has improved considerably as has the service. Upon mentioning my daughter's birthday, the check-in clerk presented her with a nice box of Godiva truffles. The Regency Club offered a nice assortment of food and beverage options. Although the bar service is now an "honor" bar, the prices weren't bad: $3 for wine and $4 for cocktails, certainly a bargain compared to Stories! Sylvia, who staffed the RC in the evening, was very pleasant and helpful.

As for our daughter's special birthday dinner at Stories, we were underwhelmed. When I made the reservation, I told them it was for a special occasion and they even asked my daughter's age, so I was surprised when there was no "Happy Birthday" mention at all during our dinner. The restaurant was barely half full, so we were curious why we were initially told that they were so busy that night we could not be seated until 9 pm. At about 5:30, we got a call that there had been a cancellation for 7:30, so we took it. While service was initially friendly and prompt, after we finished our appetizers, we were not approached for another hour, when our main course was finally served. By this point, we were so tired & cold (The temperature was way too chilly.) that we quickly ate our unremarkable lobster and rack of lamb and I took my daughter to warm up at the RC with coffee and dessert right before they closed at 9 pm, while my husband waited for the check. I'm awfully glad we didn't have to wait until our original 9 pm reservation time, or we would have starved if we had to wait until 10:15 for our meal to be served!