FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - hotel-specifc bonus points can give lower rate!!!
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:17 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hotel-specifc bonus points can give lower rate!!!

Ok, this is a little complicate, so make sure you're awake before you read this.

If you go to main Choice web page and click Offers & Programs, then from the grey menu at the far right click Hotel Deals, you can search for hotel deals by state (or outside the US by country or region).

You'll find a mix of deals, some of which are packages which are not likely to be interesting for simple stays. But some of them are bonus point packages.

Some of these bonus point packages require stuff like a minimum 2-day stay. That would normally be less interesting, but if you need a 2-day or longer stay anyway, and/or are doing a 3-day stay for the "Stay 3 Straight Nights" promo, then it can fit.

I can't find any good way to sort these offers. I just have to use the "find in page" feature of my browser to search for the bonus point offers within the page (for a state with many offers like California). The properties are not sorted by city name or anothing else I could figure out.

The bonus point rates say they are implemented via vouchers. (I'm familiar with bonus points vouchers from Priority Club but I've never yet seen them from Choice.)

Now is where its gets really confusing. If you click on "get details on this offer", it says you have to book using a PCPPTS rate to get it. As of a week ago, clicking "book now" would plug in the PCPPTS rate automatically. And in some cases (such as the Comfort Inn & Suites Anaheim on Katella) that rate came out lower than all other rates, including SOS rates! (Ok, I can't try the 60+ rate because I don't qualify for that.)

But when you tried to make a resservation, it cliamed that "this rate is not eligibile for Choice points"! Huh?!? A bonus points rate that doesn't earn points, what's the sense in that???

So I emailed Choice customer support, and a few days later they replied that it was a website error, and that the PCPPTS rate does earn Choice points.

But as of today, the website seems broken another way. While saying you need to use the PCPPTS rate to get the bonus points, it doesn't offer the PCPPTS rate any more. It just gives you the normal choices of rates, except it doesn't even let you select a special rate code (like the main booking page does). (Nor does the URL generated give any obvious indication that you are getting a special PCPPTS rate or special PCPPTS status by booking that way.)

I am so confused. It is such hard work to look up a hotel this way, only to find that the process may or may not work today!

Anyway, when it was offered, the PCPPTS rate was lower (for this hotel) than any rate I could get through the normal booking engine, including an SOS code.

(And I can only write to Choice CS so many times in a short period about the same promo! )