FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NW Elite on a DL flight - Companion Upgrades?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:09 pm
GaryDD

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by sryan2k1
A friend and I are going to Atlanta for a few days (Tomorrow morning to Sunday night actually)

I'm a NW Gold flying on a DL Coded/Operated flight, and we both have separate reservations, I've already been upgraded and he has no status. Whats Delta's policy about companion UGs in this situation? If I ask at the gate and there are F seats left will they do it? Or is my friend stuck in the back?
They are probably stuck in the back. There are specific fare types that companions have to be to get upgraded I think it is Y,B and M, and they have to be on the same PNR and both of you do not clear until 12 hours prior. It is no way near the generous NW companion rules.

If you pitch it well enough and play dumb at the gate and there are seats open you may get sympathy on they will upgrade them for you. This happened with me on a flight to JFK in May when there were 10 open seats in first. The agent was reluctant at first but I did the whole "I had no idea (which I actually didn't) that my wife would not get upgraded otherwise I would have flown NW (which was true).

Going forward though, the days of travel companion upgrades are all but gone.