FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Don't Order a "Special Meal" if You're Hoping for an International Op-Up
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:15 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by yogimax
Returning to JFK from AMS on KL, I (NW Platinum) flew through the gate check-in. Mrs. Yogimax (NW Gold - separate reservation), got the welcomed red light and was informed she was upgraded. Yeah!

So, the question was why was a NW Gold upgraded and not a Platinum. Turns out I had ordered an Asian Vegetarian meal (hoping for something better than the usual chicken). That was the snafu! The computer would not upgrade because of the special meal request! The agents were great, though, and got us both seats in Business although they could not issue me a new boarding pass. The simply crossed out the old seat and wrote in the new one.

Moral of the story? Don't order a special meal if you're hoping for an international op-up!
Glad that it worked out.

I was on an international flight once where an GA crossed off the old seat and wrote the new seat number on my boarding pass (also op-up to business). I was stopped at the entrance to the plane until one of the FA's could verify and have a new boarding pass printed.

I understand that - I guess anyone could scribble a new seat number on their boarding pass to try and sneak into business class. Learned my lesson though - insist on a new boarding pass when my seat changes.