FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:02 pm
DC Wolf

HWV report

Greetings! We just got back from our ALON stay about three weeks ago. I have written a full trip report on the Trip Reports board.

I’ve got a few more Hilton-specific thoughts about the resort to share on here.

These are in no particular order-

Upon check-in, we were offered an upgrade to a suite in the Palace Tower. We declined because we had already made our request for the Ocean Tower. We had a good view out of room 4086, but a little more homework on here would have told me to ask for a higher floor so that the palm trees don’t obstruct the horizon.

Previous posters have indicated that they didn’t like waiting for the boat or monorail. While both move at a snail’s pace, we didn’t really mind and found the boat to be relexing. The boat is really nice at night when you can look up and see the stars. Hawaii doesn’t have the light pollution that we do on the mainland, so the stars are really bright.
(One night an older gentleman got so moved that he decided to serenade us all with “Moon River” on his harmonica. )

The HWV may no longer offer the full breakfast coupons, but we found the Executive Lounge offerings to be more than adequate. Perhaps it is because we are not big breakfast eaters, but I could easily fill-up on the danishes, crossiants and fruit. The birds are kind of a pain though. These little suckers are everywhere and think nothing of coming right up near you to beg for food.

The pools by the ocean tower are nice, but I like the main pool by the lagoon tower better. We were surprised that there are no hot tubs by the ocean tower. The HWV shouyld definitely put one in so that you don’t have to schelp all the way over to the main pool.

If you want a cabana, they are first come, first serve and most of them are claimed by 8:30 am. In general, people get up early and go to bed early, there’s not a lot of nightlife.

At sunset, they have a kid who blows a conch shell and then runs around the perimeter lighting all of the gas tiki torches. It’s kinda cool.

Any other questions?