FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poll - how many countries have you visited?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 3:10 pm
k374

what exactly do you consider a "visit"? I know at least some people who have just been to the airport at the country and claim to have visited it, others went to some beach resort and say they visited the country...I don't think it really qualifies unless you spent some time outside the airport in a location that reflects the true nature of the country.

For example a cruise ship docking at Labadee, Haiti (a private gated beach resort owned by Royal Caribbean)...well, if you never went past the confines of the resort then you have not really seen Haiti.. you may have seen it in theory but you really haven't seen it culturally.

I have been to Incheon airport but I don't claim to have visited South Korea because I never went outside the airport.

Also those that are just visited countries at the speed of light just to increase their count are just losing the whole point of traveling to places. Call me a purist but that is how I feel