FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which is better - both spouses Gold or one spouse Plat?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 2:25 pm
GetawaysRus

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zipadee
also how on earth does status on AA lead to the treat of nicer hotel rooms? I obviously missed out on that benefit.
I got that idea from this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ut-flying.html

Here is post #23 in that thread, from pinniped:
I received HH Gold status as a result of being AA Platinum. I had to go to an HHonors.com link and enter a 4-digit code which was printed in the AA Platinum booklet. One year, I don't think this was targeted at all (maybe '01 or so). Anybody could get the status. Note that during '01-'02, there were dozens of easy ways to get HH Gold and a mountain of bonus points, so it wasn't exactly an "exclusive" perk.

I also received SPG Gold as a result of AA Plat. I got a direct mail piece with SPG Gold and AA Platinum branding on it, brand-new SPG number. I called SPG and had them merge my new number with my old one. I recall that I was required to keep the new number active to keep the Goldness. I was also required to complete 1 stay where I earned AA miles directly, then I was allowed to switch to Starpoints. Seemed like kind of an odd promo with odd rules, but I didn't complain.

That reply is dated October 2004, so the information might no longer be accurate. But it makes me wonder if I'd be able to get any hotel goodies if I were to reach AA Gold or AA Platinum.

(I haven't dug through the Status Match master thread to see if there is any information on hotels, but that would be another place to check.)