Old Jun 1, 03, 11:37 am
OB one
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I used a GLON to stay there last summer for 6 nights. Could have had a room for $140 or so plus tax, so it is not the best bet for points, but it is free and saved just less than $1000. We stayed at San Francisco Hilton for three nights before coming to ES San Rafael.

The hotel is rather in the middle of nowhere, but since you will have a car, there is plently close enough (within 5-10 minutes drive). You can certainly use it as a center of activity to climb Mt. Tamalpais, to cruise into Sausalito, to park and walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, to check out Marin Headlands and drive the coast by Stinson Beach. Napa and Sonoma are close enough. I recommend driving to the very north of either in the morning and turning around and heading back south as you make your stops at the various vineyards. Have a dd if needed.

The hotel is fine, not as nice as Sacramento ES and not much of a view, but the breakfast is good (busier on weekends than weekdays) and the manager's reception is fine. The parking is free, but we were offered some jewelry from some guy in a van in the parking lot, at cut rate prices, needless to say we didn't take him up on it.

The pool is open 24 hours a day and there can be lots of kids, even at 11 pm (hey those were my kids at 11 pm). The jacuzzi is decent, but can be crowded, and the exercise room is fair, but the pool is small and steamy.

All in all it was an economical way to use a GLON for a family vacation. I even recommended it to another family member who was doing the same San Francisco trip and needed to fill her four CNTU stays (HS BDL, San Francisco Hilton, ES San Rafael, ES Burlingame.) 50,000 points for these stays so I just booked her a TEEN for Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Phoenix. Nice.

Don't expect a lot over and above, just a decent place with two rooms and breakfast/manager's reception and you will be fine.