FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feeling dumb: Just how do they know we used our C.C. @ a Rewards Restaurant?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:56 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Another way is for the resto to use an adjacent, related business' cc processing. I've had one downtown Sacramento resto first claim the credit card machine wasn't working well, then run it on a related business' system so the restaurant name did not appear.

It took a little bit more time to process this with RN, but I also suspect the restaurant got a visit from "Big Vinny" or whoever the "enforcer" is for their, in this case, cash advance (essentially, a loan that does not have to conform to some formal loan restrictions.)

Originally Posted by ZeppoX
Thx for the kudo, but I should have mentioned -- IME all I've gotten from the missing dine link is an automatic reply saying they will look into it and get back to me.
Email, with a scan of the receipt attached, has almost always worked quickly for me.

Straying further off-topic ... one way I have seen a restaurant avoid RN capture was to somehow print credit card receipts labeled as cash transactions -- deliberately or accidentally, don't know. In this case, RN refused to honor my receipt. They gave in when I sent an appropriately-redacted .pdf of my CC statement.

"fiendishly clever plan" - thx, squawk 7500 for that chuckle.