FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "A" Class Same Day Standby
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:40 pm
martin33

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, I think everyone would probably agree that if you are on an F class ticket, you don't need to be confirmed into coach and get into an upgrade queue, you would standby directly for first class. Although it's worth mentioning that on CO, the default is to clear even paid full fare FC pax into coach first, if you want to stand by directly for FC it requires some manual intervention by the agent.

So the question is how do the gate agents treat YUP fares booked into A. For almost all intents and purposes they are first class fares. But no, I can't speak with definitive authority as to how the agents process them on the standby list. Obviously per the fare rules you can stand by for coach, but since you can confirm these fares directly into FC at the time of booking even if coach is sold out, I don't see why you couldn't clear directly into F at the gate, bypassing Y altogether.
agreed. I've never fully understood the inner workings of the standby list processing. I agree that one would hope an AONEx would clear before any upgraders if F (but not A) was available at flight time, but what if F was "sold out"? Would the standby AONEx flyer still take precedence over the confirmed upgraders? are the answers different for YUP? would it be different if Y is zeroed out as well? paging an expert....