FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:39 pm
lolosmama

Programs: AA Gold
Arriving in Venice with only the name of the hotel

On an early trip to Europe, my husband & I arrived in Venice with only the name of our hotel...no address, no directions on how to find it. I (blush) had assumed that there would be signs at the vaporetto stop with arrows pointing to the hotels, kind of like the signs to Holiday Inns & Hampton Inns at interstate highway exits. It was raining torrentially when we arrived and the water was so deep in St. Mark's Square that they had constructed little wooden platforms to walk on, barely wide enough to walk along dragging wheeled luggage behind and there weren't any signs! We stopped in probably 10 hotels, bars & restaurants, and no one had ever heard of our hotel. I felt like I was in the twilight zone. We finally found a helpful soul, and found our hotel, whose name I thought I'd remember forever but have since forgotten. We were soaked to the skin & exhausted & our room was the smallest I've ever seen...hubby had to sit sideways on the john because of the size of the bathroom...but we were there!