FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:27 pm
tfar

Originally Posted by Athena53
What choice do you have, really? Just bring bubble wrap and tape next time. And don't pack it with any clothing that would break your heart to have ruined. We pack purchased alcohol in checked bags all the time- we pack it carefully and cross our fingers till it rolls off the baggage carousel.

The only alternative I can think of (other than not buying it) is shipping, which is horribly expensive and can't legally be done in some cases (e.g. Europe to the US).
There is an alternative. There are styrofoam bottle containers that are very sturdy. Bottle goes in the container. Container goes in a ziploc bag or even a double ziploc. Adds less than 3oz of weight per bottle and is virtually disaster proof.

I didn't know it wasn't allowed to mail alcohol from Europe to the US. I thought that was possible. Some years ago in St. Emilion I saw many crates at the dealer marked for shipment to private addresses in the US. Did those regulations change? Or are there shipping methods that are legal?

Till