FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 47 ExpressJet passengers forced to spend night on plane after diversion to RST...
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:13 am
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
It didn't happen like that, the passengers were no doubt strung along with one 'announcement' after another. Standard airline technique to avoid instant insurrection
Good point. ^ And I'm guessing there's general agreement that being stuck on an EMB for nine hours is a lot worse than being stuck in a terminal listening to those incremental delay announcements.

The episode described in the article is infuriating, and the money-quote "But passenger safety and the legal requirements of airlines were top priorities...." is a highlight, or do I mean lowlight?

If I'm stuck in such a situation in the future, what specific steps could I take? Will I get anywhere calling 911 after, say, four hours or so of "involuntary confinement?" Should I call friends and ask them to contact a media outlet wherever I'm being held? Are there any phone numbers (e.g. home numbers for airline CEOs )to keep handy in the cell phone? All suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Fredd