FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My BofA AS Visa Signature Card Fraud Caught
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:58 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by l'etoile
Credit card fraud is pretty rampant. It does not surprise me that BofA requires you to call in a fraud case since, unless your card is canceled, it can be compromised again and again. I immediately call in fraudulent charges, have my card canceled and a new one sent.

I've had four incidents this year alone where either a Visa or an Amex was compromised.

There are any number of ways people can get your number.
I must make supplement comment on this statement - I had an incident with Chase, and we were 100% certain the theft was a restaurant waiter. Anyway, the SAME source of where the fraudulent charge came from, hit the replacement card with another charge. Worse, when I called Chase Fraud dept again, I was told the ONLY WAY to stop such from happening again is for me to call the merchant (in this case it is a national chain health club location in LA, but the billing is done in Panama City, Panama!) that the card is used fraudulent and not to bill it for any future charge from whoever using it! I have to ask the rep 2 times to make sure I haven't mistaken what she told me. She said Chase has NO WAY to stop the fraudulent charge as it is initially coded as Pre-Authorized... blah blah blah.

BTW, the paperwork I had to fill out, did not reach me until the 30 days were almost up, and after the 2nd fraudulent charge showed up on my card. The rep told me simply add the 2nd one on the form and mail it back. Never heard from Chase on that matter, other than showing online, the charges were removed. There is never a letter to even acknowledge such action. Once that happened, I promptly closed the account permanently, but continued to monitor it online for 6 months before I deleted it.

My neighbor's AMEX card experienced same thing - their replacement card still was hit by fraudulent charges. It did not come to a stop until the 3rd billing cycle!

The only solution is to actually CANCEL the account without getting a replacement card, A TRUE CANCELLATION if you will.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 6, 2009 at 11:38 am Reason: typo, additional info.