FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Milk Run YYZ-YVR on 77L in J
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:21 pm
AC340-541

Programs: CX Diamond
Thanks, everyone!

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Could you comment on your thoughts of the herringbone design that AC uses? From your photos, it does look better than the design CX uses for their business class. I am curious because the CX setup was very disappointing to me and it almost made me claustrophobic, I do not know if that was the case for you on AC.

Nontheless, Nice Trip Report
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in any other herringbone F/C/J product, so keep that in mind when you read my comments.

I wouldn't call the AC J Pods to be claustrophobic, although they are by most people's standard not very conducive to conversation with a flying partner without being overly loud. I felt that the layout of the Pods were quite well thought-out; there wasn't anything that was out of reach. The reading light is next to you on the forward divider wall, the seat controls and AVOD controls are right next to the screen, the table is of a good size, and there are two places for your drinks -- a cup holder (like in a car) as well as a mini ledge that circles around the Pod behind you.

I've read on another thread on FT that the magazine pocket was too far behind you when in the upright seated position, but I found the copy of enRoute was easy to take out (the arm rest even folds up to make it easy to take out/put back) without having to recline.

Some little things that I realized, which were not a huge issue to me but might be for other travelers:

- If you're in fully flat bed mode, it is difficult to get the table out, because the cover must be pulled outwards before the table is accessible. Not sure who would want to have their table out while sleeping though.
- The table doesn't swing outwards to let you get out; rather it just slides forward. This may be enough space for some but not for others.
- There were no over-head fresh air vents on the 333, but there were two for each Pod on the 77L.

The seats are more narrow than other forward-facing C/J seats on international carriers, if width is an issue for you then perhaps they will not be as comfortable, but the amount of space length-wise can't be beat, IMHO. I really enjoy stretching my legs out even when in only a slight recline, while watching the AVOD or enjoying cookies/drinks.

As far as the whole "moving 30-45 degrees to the direction that you're facing" issue, I know it was a bit strange for me the first time, but second time around I didn't really notice it as much. Rather, I was more disappointed that it is difficult to get a view out of the windows. I'd much prefer this seat orientation to sitting in a rear-ward facing seat, as on BA and other carriers. Just my $0.02 CDN.

I hope this gives you some more feedback on AC's J Pods. If you have any more detailed questions I'll try to give you an answer.