FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor {GBR} (no longer Honors)
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:50 pm
The _Banking_Scot
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor hotel Trip Reports and Reviews

Hi,

Just returned from a 1 night stay there ( Division's christmas dinner at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre).
This hotel is just across the road from the Haymarket station ( Note: This is NOT the Caledonian at Princes Street ( 10min walk)
Arrived at 5:15pm. Check in was quick.
My booking was for a double room ( £59 GBP per night)
I was given room 315 (top floor). This is apparently a family (triple) room with three single beds so I suppose it was a kind of HHonors Gold upgrade ( no otheer amenties given).
No bath in the bathroom just a shower and the toilet was almost right against the wall so you have to sit on it at a bit of an angle.
TV has 6 channels ( Terrestrial 1-5 and Sky news).
A keyboard was provided for internet access. Did not use it or find out how much it was.
In the morning I got the requested wakeup call and the newspaper.
Breakfast was included in the rate and was ok ( the bacon and sausage tasted a bit funny ( then again it was maybe because I had too much to drink the night before!!
I requested a late check out ( C/O time is 11am) and the front desk originally offered 12 noon but agreed to 12:30 pm with no problem.
The snack bar in the reception area by the lifts is quite reasonably priced ( cafe latte and a danish for £3.20)
Room was comfortable and quiet enough and overlooked the roof ( facing east). The room on the first floor would have a good view of the a/c units on the roof!!).
Water pressure in the shower was a little bit on the low side but the tempreature was fine.
They had several parties going on on Friday evening so the areas by the lift and reception were crowded making it slightly difficult to exit but no problems.
The sitting areas by the lift I found in the evening and morning had the smokey smell as several people were smoking but did not find it too annoying although I do think the main public areas should be more smoke free.
The bill was correct when I checked out ( 2 mins) and the newspaper was apparently free.

Overall for the price paid it was reasonable but I was slightly dissapointed that there was no obvious recognition of Gold status ( I think other comments have suggested that they have been upgraded to the club section and there were club rooms available on the internet shortly before arriving at the hotel) but given the price and the location ( less than five min walk at 1am after several hours drinking is always a good bet! ) a reasonable hotel
This completes my HH stays for 2002. Number of stays : 22. Nights 38 ( all leisure)
Next: Somewhere in Washington DC or its environs for Jan 1-4 2003.

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 12-21-2002).]