FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iceland Air FF Alliances?
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:45 pm
Donna49

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
I really don't think SWA would find FI useful to serve any desires to codeshare to Europe. This past winter, in the 5 month off-peak period (Nov-Mar), FI only operated from JFK and BOS in all of North America, and even then, not everyday.

Icelandair really does go its own way, and one of the big reasons is that they can move crews and aircraft from the scheduled Icelandair operation to their wet-lease Loftleider operation. The Icelandair scheduled operation is quite strong in the peak summer travel months, but really drops off afterwards, with minimal scheduled service in the off-peak period.

Have you ever wondered where all the Icelandair flights (aircraft and crews) go with the schedule reductions? They don't park them, they just move them to Loftleider and fly wet-lease operations.

I just don't see how anyone can tie into what they do, considering their independent nature.

If any carrier was to be a code-share candidate for FI, I would think it to be AS, considering their new year long service to SEA, and the announcement of an increase in service in SEA next year.

But that is not going to happen either. Icelandair just goes its own way. Always has, and perhaps, always will.