FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "We are looking for volunteers." "No, we're not!"
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:46 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Interesting discussion. Didn't realize the "looking for volunteers" message came from higher powers than the GA.

To be clear: If the sign is ON, we know they either need volunteers or don't need volunteers. If your a bump runner, you probably approach the GA regardless. If the sign is OFF, there is a good chance they don't need volunteers (a few exceptions though) because its programmed to turn on when booked (over) to a certain level. In most circumstances that number would stay the same or drop (ie: misconnects), and therefore not prompt the volunteer signage.

Is that a good interpretation?
All except for the "higher power" part. That is blasphemy! We all know, that prior to stepping on the aircraft, where Cap'n is king, that the GA rules, and there is no higher power in the universe, except possibly a heavenly authority.

Misconnects don't have their reservations cncld, so booked LF won't change, and even if the sign is on, and 100% of the booked LF misconnects, the sign will still stay on.

And Hunter, not just any GA, but me. Plus, a manual override is essential for any system that relies on operational data where predictable patterns are weak models, and purely correlational, not causal. Human behavior is not all that scientific on a micro scale, hence the reason we have doctors, lawyers, and therapists and don't just use WebMD, Law books, or the DSM IV to solve our problems.