Old Jul 25, 09, 9:44 pm
luv2ctheworld

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Ah, the catch-22 of a mistake rate.

You'll have some on FT who believe there's a higher chance of a mistake rate honored if only a few people take advantage of it. The thought behind that is the agency/property isn't going to lose much over a small handful of error rates and would rather be viewed as a nice guy.

On the other hand, you have FT'ers that will say the best approach is to try to get a critical mass of bookings, so that any attempt by the agency/property will draw such a huge ire and negative publicity that it will force their hands to honor the rate.

Funny thing is, both ways have been known to work (and not work).

I can't comment on the likelihood of you getting it honored, but from my previous experiences, it would help if you contact the agency in question (not w/ the agents, but with a senior VP) and submit proof that you made transportation arrangements/reservations that are non-refundable based upon their word. Track down the address, email and physical and send via email and certified letter.

In my experience, a larger outfit (Travelocity, Orbitz, or Expedia) has been more willing to eat such a cost than a smaller agency (I presume the smaller agency will be more impacted on their bottom line).

I'll also add that a pre-paid rate stands a higher chance of getting honored, since technically a transaction already took place (i.e. your credit card was charged). If it is only a reservation, then it's harder to hold on to a claim since no money actually changed hands, just a commitment to pay an agreed upon rate. But unlike airfare bookings, hotel reservations can be cancelled without penalty by the buyer normally (at least 24 - 72 hrs in advance).

At any rate, good luck.

Oh, next time, try the critical mass approach and let people on FT know... maybe a different outcome next time