FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DING DING! What makes a GREAT Trip Report?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:53 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I do research for all our trips on sites specific to the area we are traveling. It might start (1) with airlines flying into an airport and out of one near me. Picking an airline that I have points on or one that provides good pricing. This may require some questions on FT about that airline, if I am unfamilar with it (starting with search and reading recent postings). Then I (2) check to see if there are hotels that I might have points I can use, or brands I am willing to pay for. Finally, I (3) bing or google "city name attractions" to see what activities interest us that are available. This third step helps suggest the time we will spend on the trip (we are retired).

I read trip reports to gather information over a broad range of "items" aimed at a particular area or destination. With the data outlined, the activities chosen, and the length of stay chosen, I start looking for the missing. These thing I often will pose of the appropriate board in FT.

I write trip reports trying to provide similar destination information as to specific options chosen for flights, lodging, dining, attractions. I try to be more detailed where the information maybe a bit off average, leaving the reader to assume average, elsewise. I also try to post summary of harder to find data. Without "post overload", I also will answer questions that I posed on FT, that were not answered, but I subsequently found out. This gives the "record" a completeness for those "searching" later. I also post if there is a mixed review, giving my recent experience.

My reports are long, but I do try to make them easy to scan. My wife handles all the pictures. They are posted to a site that allows a "slide show" format. They are posted in order of our trip, match the order of my write up and have captions. Either the write up or the pictures can be viewed independently, based on what "you" are looking for.

Most of our trips are 3 weeks or so, and are not very business travel oriented. When we were doing our business travel, we answered question posed on specific airlines, hotels, dining options, clubs and frequent point generation, but did not do trip reports.

A few of our TRs can be found by searching "ranles". Only some of them come up, so I guess that the rest are archived or ?

In sumary, TR posting is all about what the poster does, and what that person wants to share. I try to inform, others amuse while many have other motivations or goals.

Our typical trip requires 250 hours of prework and about 1/2 that amount of time to organize, write-up, sort, improve, select, title and post. Driving trips with multiple states, hotels, etc. take more. I hope that time serves others well.