FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA/IB codeshare questions: fare & mileage
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:44 pm
martin33

Originally Posted by travelbuff
Hi!

I have a couple of questions about AA codeshare flights with IB:

a) VCE - MAD on IB flight # and metal (itinerary all from aa.com): do I earn any miles on this? (called AA agent and said yes...but I would like to verify this with Flyertalk geniuses)

b)My flight route is ORD-MXP-VCE-(MAD)-ORD. A week ago, they were all AA flight numbers, with the VCE-(MAD)-ORD on Iberia metal. Today, the VCE-MAD is on Iberia flight # and the fare increased by ~$80 (same flight and time as the AA flight #). Any chance AA will revert it back to AA flight # and save me $80/person?

Thank you.
Assuming you are not on a full coach fare, you will not get full miles on any IB-coded flight. To earn miles at all, your IB discount fare class must be B, H, K, M, Q, V, G, L, N, O, P, or S. Let's assume you have one of those.

VCE-MAD is 876 miles (great circle mapper, AAdvantage distance may vary), and you would earn 30% of that, or 263 miles, unless you are Gold or better elite in which case the minimum is 300 miles. That base EQM mileage level would become your EQP base, multiplied by 0.5 or 1.0 depending on how deeply discounted your fare code is: so, from 132 to 300 EQP would be earned depending on fare class and status.

If your VCE-MAD is AA-coded, you earn 876 EQM and either 438 or 876 EQP.