FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for improvement to CDG operations
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:12 am
JOUY31
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, this thread about suggestions to improvements to CDG operations now includes a comparison of CDG1 vs CDG2. Since the beginning of 2009, I've had about 40 flights from/into CDG2 and I have not experienced any significant disruption to my travel pattern. The fact that most of my destinations are served by 2F and 2E, rather than 2A/B or 2D probably helps.

There are, of course, things that I don't enjoy in CDG2 and improvements by ADP would be welcome :

- 2B should have been renovated earlier than scheduled, when half of it became a Schengen terminal; ADP should have renovated it instead of bringing into it U2 from CDG3
- 2A and 2C should also be improved; the plan for an additional airside area connecting them is welcome news
- 2D is more like an overcrowded bus station, and I especially dislike the audio system that is often inaudible in the gates area
- I don't really like the fact that regional aircrafts from Schengen destinations scheduled to arrive at 2D now arrive at 2G most of the time
- I am still waiting for the replacement to the Air France Pegase initiative for biometric scans, although the Acces n°1 lines are a nice substitute

On the other hand, there have been some improvements and I especially like:
- the airside transfer bus from 2D to 2E
- the premium check-in desks in 2D (in addition to the existing ones in 2C, 2E and 2F) as well as its associated Acces n°1 checkpoints
- the ease with which I breeze through 2E's baggage drop for premium customers and Acces n°1 (also on arrival) for immigration and security
- to a somewhat lesser extent, the same seamless experience in 2F1 & 2F2
- the fact that all my flights from/into 2E have had a jetbridge up to now (except for flights using regional aircrafts)
- the replacement of the iMacs with HP PCs in AF lounges
- relaxing in the 2E lounge while reading GEO and sipping a glass of chilled Poire Williams

Of course, there are non-functional escalators, moving walkways, or screens, just as in other airports; I have always managed to walk alongside the moving walkway, use stairs alongside the escalator or elevator, walk a few meters to another display screen; without any significant impact on my travel experience.

So is CDG1 better than CDG2 for some passengers ? Of course it is, if that is your experience. In my case, with the exception of two unexpected arrivals into 2G rather than 2D, CDG2 has been a pretty much seamless and enjoyable experience this year.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 13, 2009 at 10:19 am