FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 24 hour cancellation?
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyAO2

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by srizvi1
Yeah, I know it's my fault that I shouldn't have assumed that there was a 24-hour policy, but I really thought it was something that was sort of mandatory by law. I'm disappointed there isn't because this is pretty crappy - what if someone books the wrong flight? I've done that before. In this particular case, I was trying to take advantage of a pricing benefit, so I am not terribly upset with what happened.

I think it's an unethical business practice (if UA can do it, why can't AA) and while I won't swear off traveling on AA, I will consider other options before going with them.

One more gripe - when I spoke w/ AA, they suggested I e-mail customer retentions with the situation, but I was annoyed because I couldn't call them. It would have been difficult to wait for a response.
AA's argument would be there is no REASON for them to do it. The reason UA & DL allow you to cancel within 24 hours is because they don't let you HOLD a reservation.

If you find a reservation you like on DL you have to buy it; you then have 24 hours (actually till midnight the next day) to decide if you want to cancel it for free. On AA you could just press HOLD.

Basically the same net result